the internet Polish Genealogical Source
Holy Trinity Parish - Utica NY
A parish history from the 1946 Golden Jubliee Book
I - Title and Date or Origin
1. Official name and address of Parish is: Holy Trinity Church of Utica, N. Y. Address - 1206 Lincoln Avenue.
2. The parish was established toward the end of December 1896.
II - Territorial Development
3. The Holy Trinity Parish was formed of Polish immigrants, who started to come to Utica about the year ~ of 1870 from Poland, which at the end of the 18th century was divided among three neighboring Monarchies: Austria, Germany and Russia.
The first settlers were from that part of Poland under German rule and some were from that part which was under Austria. 4. Later. since the year 1905, the Polish people began to come in great numbers from the third and the greatest port of Poland, that under the Russian yoke.
The Holy Trinity Parish did not have definite boundaries. As this was the first church where Polish was spoken in the whole Oneida County, the Poles gathered here from the entire county, and even those living in Herkimer, Oswego and Madison Counties.
5. The Holy Trinity Parish, in course of time, became the mother of several Polish parishes, even one Lithuanian, which were organized as follows:
In 1909 - St. Mary's Church, New York Mills. In 1911 - St. Stanislaus B. M. Church, Utica, Mohawk Street becoming the boundary. In 1911 -- St. George's Lithuanian Church, Utica.
Also the Transfiguration Parish in Rome, N. Y., and St. Joseph's Parish in Herkimer, N. Y., are considered the daughters of the Holy Trinity Parish.
III - Church Property
6. The beginning of Catholicity in the parish.
As aforesaid the people were coming to Utica from three parts of subjugated Poland.
Poland was distinctly a Catholic country, known in history as the bulwark of Christianity "Antemurale Christianitotis." She fought and suffered for Catholicity. The partition of Poland made her people still more attached to the Catholic church and more tenacious of the faith of their fathers.
In the year 1889 a Benevolent Society of St. Stanislaus was organized. Although it consisted only of a few members. nevertheless. it had a salutary influence upon the Polish settlers and gave the beginning to the parish.
The society organized the scattered Poles in Utica and its vicinity. It took care of their spiritual welfare by inviting a Polish priest from time to time and especially at Easter time, to hear their confession. For their immediate spiritual needs they went to St. Joseph's church on Columbia Street.
The Polish settlers worked strenuously and persistently toward establishing a church of their own. They collected money on all occasions and taxed themselves voluntarily.
Thus on the 11 th day of August 1896 a tract of land and a frame building at Chenango Avenue were purchased for church purposes from Joseph B. Nelbach for the sum of $4,000.00. The sum of $1.300.00 was to be paid in cash on or before the 1 st day of September 1896, the balance of $2700.00 was to be secured by a bond and mortgage at 5% payable semi-annually.
The representatives selected by the Society to negotiate the transaction were: Waclaw Wojciechowski, president: Seweryn Jankiewicz, secretary, and Simon Budzynski, treasurer.
The deed to the property was transferred to the Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden, Bishop of the Diocese of Sywcuse. N. Y., on the 2nd day of October 1896 by Konstantyn Mikolajczyk, Simon Budzynski. Waclaw Wojciechowski. Seweryn Jankiewicz, Waclaw Krolikowski, Tomasz Szrama, Michael Kozlowski.
The deed was accepted by the Rt. Rev. Bishop following the usual legal formalities after a payment of one dollar.
On December 23, 1896 Rev. Simon Pniak, a new ly ordained priest came to Utica and began his missionary work among the Polish people. He said his first Mass at St. John's School hall on Burnett Street on Christmas day.
A little frame building on Chenango Avenue was so rapidly transformed into small chapel and rectory that on the first Sunday after Christmas of 1896 the Poles attended Mass in their own though very small· chapel.
The congregation numbered about 50 families, happy and enthusiastic over the realization of their united efforts, the establishment of a Polish parish.
7. The Rev. Simon Pniak together with his small. but ambitious flock, started without delay to make preparations to build a church suitable to accommodate his congregation. On the 29th day of April 1897 the Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden transferred the possession of the property to the Holy Trinity Church of Utica, N. Y.
The transfer was signed by the Rt. Rev. Patrick A Ludden.
This is the first authoritative document issued in the name of Holy Trinity Church of Utica. N. Y.
The same year plans were drawn by Joseph B. Helton, architect, for a common brick edifice, to be built on Lots facing Chenango Avenue now Lincoln Avenue.
The material used was stone up to water table, brick for walls, iron beams, Indiana limestone for windowsills and lumber.
Several contracts were entered into for the different types of work.
July 2, 1897 a contract for mason work, brick, stone and plaster was entered into with John Antes of Utica for the sum $4.495.00.
July 26, 1897 a contract for iron work and woodwork was made with Peter Beazill for the sum of $2.350.00. The first Mass was celebrated in the basement of the new edifice on Christmas day, 1897 by Rev. Simon Pniak. The church was finished a year later.
According to the report made by the Rev. Simon Pniak and published in the local newspaper in the article entitled "Father Pniak's Work in Utica" and filed in the 'parish records, the cost of the church with equipment was about $20,000.00.
The events of historical interest:
September 19, 1897, Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden, Bishop of Syracuse blessed the corner stone. June 11. 1899 Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden performed three notable functions:
1) dedicated the church; 2) consecrated the altar in honor of Blessed Virgin Mary, enclosing in it the relics of Martyrs, St. Justin, St. Victor, St. Faustin, St. Lazar and St. Regina. 3) confirmed 161 persons.
July 15, 1906 Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden confirmed 500 persons. The same day he blessed the corner stone for the new church.
Although the new church was a modest edifice, nevertheless, it was thought at that time, that it will accommodate not only that congregation, but also future generations. However, unforeseen events proved the contrary. The parish attracted. many Poles from other cities. The growing industries encouraged them, and the settlers invited their relatives to come here. The Russo-Japanese war contributed in a large measure towards the rapid growth of the Polish congregation in Utica. Especially men of military age preferred to come to America, a free country, than to go to war and fight for their tyrant. Many of them settled in Utica. Consequently in a very short time the modest church proved to be too small for the accommodation of all. In order to attend Moss many had to stand outside.
Father Pniak began to think seriously of his new multiple and urgent problems. He worked with fortitude, patience and with the industry of an ant, toward the building of the present church.
On October 12, 1905, he purchased three more lots on the same side of the street for the sum of $3,500.00.
From January 1898 to January 1905, Father Pniak accumulated $7,383.07 toward the new church fund. The some year, 1905, the plans for the new church were prepared by Agnes, Rushner & Jennison, architects of Utica, N. Y.
He signed various contracts in the summer of 1905 and started to build the present granite church (Governeur marble) with two gothic towers, with the capacity of over 1100 seats. The dimensions are 103 II. 6 in. long, 79 ft. wide, and about 50 ft. high, inside.
The contracts entered into were with the following: C. Fuller Co., for stones; Frank DeVito, mason contractor; H. Kassing, builder; Frank Mielnik, carpenter; J. Antes, plastering; Balda Electric Co. wiring; J. Witte plumber; W. H. Mohawk Co., central heating; Hesser & Scharff Co., sewerage; George Snodown, windows.
The construction was carried on for almost five years. The final cost of the church structure was about $150,000.00. During Rev. Louis Muszynski's pastorate over $30,000.00 for finishing the church and equipment was spent.
During Rev. Michael Dzialuk's pastorate the following permanent improvements were made: extension 01 the sacristy and new side entrance,' repair of church roof. installation of Munich stain windows, ventilators in the ceiling, copper electric hanging fixtures, addition to main altar, improved heating system, new pipe organ, repair of belfry, installation of lightning rods, gilting crosses and repair of steeples, decoration of church with the cost of about $50,000.00, bringing the final total cost of the church to date to the sum of about $230,000.00.
The church was decorated in 1922, and insulated in 1944. It was decorated again in 1945-1946.
Events of historical interest during Rev. Michael Dzialuk's pastorate:
On October 2, 1921. the Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes confirmed 591 persons.
May 30, 1926, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Daniel Curley confirmed 705 persons.
April 29, 1928, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Daniel Curley confirmed 467 persons.
May 19, 1931, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Emmett M. Walsh, Bishop of Charleston, confirmed 676 persons.
October 29, 1933, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy, the new Bishop of Syracuse, performed his first religious functions in Utica at the Holy Trinity Church. He pontificated and preached on the Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the church. On the same day he confirmed 587 persons.
November 3, 1935, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy confirmed 318 persons.
March 30, 1936, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy made a visitation to the parish and thoroughly inspected the entire church property.
The first mission was in 1911 and about every four years thereafter.
8. The first pastor, Rev. Simon Pniak, resided in the little frame building which contained a chapel where the first Polish settler in Utica, gathered for the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass.
It was located at Chenango Avenue, on the same site where now stands a monumental statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary with Child.
9. A permanent rectory was built in the year 1916, at Lincoln Avenue, between the church and present school. The parish paid for the site $3,000.00. Edward Berg, the architect prepared the plans, Francis Mielnik was the contractor. It is a solid threestory building constructed of cement. hollow tile, wood and tapestry buff brick facing. It contains 18 rooms. The final cost and equipment was $16,036.93. It was built during the pastorate of Rev. Louis P. Muszynski.
IV - Catholic Population
11. The original Catholic population of the parish consisted of sixty families of Polish nationality.
12. During nearly fifty years of its existence, this parish has increased to about 1,200 families, including those living on farms. It has developed splendidly in every respect.
This parish has not only preserved the character of Polish nationality, but has cradled several Polish parishes.
13. The first record, starting from October 21, 1894, prior to the arrival of the first pastor, contains the names of the following pioneers associated with the early history of this parish: Franciszek Szatko, Adam Jankiewicz, Piotr Jankiewicz, Jakob Janiszewski. Tomasz Kowalski, Szymon Budzynski. Jozef Wasielewski, Tomasz Szrama, Woiciech Ziolkowski, Jakob Wroblewski. Stanislaw Starzyk, Walenty Janiszewski. Jakob Perz, Szymon Przybylski, Boleslaw Nowacki. Wadaw Krolikowski, Jan Drozdowski, Stanislaw Monarszynski, Piotr Rydzewski. Wadaw Woiciechowski, Seweryn Jankiewicz.
14. Rev. John Kociela, born in Utica, ordained June 6, 1931, for the Diocese of Syracuse. Rev. Charles Stuczko, born in Utica, ordained for the Diocese of Syracuse, June 15, 1935.
Names of girls who entered the religious life: Religious Community of the Immaculate Conception, New Britain, Conn.
Name in religion
Date of Profession
|Scibek, Stanislaus||Sister Mary Hiacinth||1909|
|Kaczor, Anna||Sister Mary Pelagia||1910|
|Borek, Helen||Sister Mary Angela||1910|
|Kaczor Catherine||Sister Mary Augusta||1912|
|Czyszcon Magdalene||Sister Mary Dorothy||1912|
|Zadroga Margaret||Sister Mary Joseph||1917|
Religious Community of the Sisters of the Felician Order, Buffalo, N. Y.
Name in religion
Date of Profession
|Banas, Mary||Sister Mary Edwina||1925|
|Bosak, Catherine||Sister Mary Balbina||1918|
|Bosak, Agatha||Sister Mary Domicela||1915|
|Dudziak, Mary||Sister Mary Romualda||1918|
|Dziechciowska, Catherine||Sister Mary Davida||1916|
|Folta, Julia||Sister Mary Leocadia||1922|
|Macner, Mary||Sister Mary Maxima||1909|
|Maziarz, Mary||Sister Mary Ferdinanda||1918|
|Morytko, Helen||Sister Mary Janita||1940|
|Postula||Sister Mary Raineria||1904|
|Tkacz, Mary||Sister Mary Augusta||1921|
|Warzecha, Anna||Sister Mary Balbina||1921|
|Wojcik, Mary||Sister Mary Joachima||1916|
|Zmuda, Catherine||Sister Mary Dunstana||1922|
Religious Community of the Sisters of the Felician Order, Lodi, N. J.
Name in religion
Date of Profession
|Dzierga, Catherine||Sister Mary Laurencia||August 4, 1934|
Religious Community of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, Grant and Frankford Avenue Torresdale,
Name in religion
Date of Profession
|Dabek, Catherine||Sister Mary Gaudenta||1913|
|Kopek, Mary||Sister Mary Simeona||1913|
|Kopek, Anna||Sister Mary Protazja||1913|
|Adamczyk, B.||Sister Mary Edwina||Aug. 16, 1920|
|Kalwajtis, W.||Sister Mary Eleuteria||Mar. 13, 1920|
|Witkowska, Stephania||Sister Mary Tryfona|
|Paluch, H.||Sister Mary Remigina||Aug. 16, 1920|
|Zielinska, Z.||Sister Mary Antonella||Dec. 23, 1925|
|Palczynska, B||Sister Mary Veneranda||July 20, 1926|
|Jaroszewska, M.||Sister Mary Leonetta||Aug. 17, 1925|
|Rutkowska, V||Sister Mary Fidelma||Dec. 28, 1926|
|Szczesniak, K.||Sister Mary Terentiana||Aug. 17, 1925|
|Krypel. M.||Sister Mary Edelvina||July 6, 1927|
|Szczepanek, M.||Sister Mary Alphonsa||July 14, 1928|
|Szczygiel. M.||Sister Mary Honoria||July 16, 1928|
|Kalwajtis, J.||Sister Mary Auxilia||July 9, 1929|
|Szczygiel, H.||Sister Mary Maiella||Aug. 21, 1930|
|Knapik, M.||Sister Mary Stella||Aug. 21, 1930|
|Stolarczyk, A.||Sister Mary Theodosia||Aug. 21, 1930|
|Dabrowska, M.||Sister Mary Fabiana||Sept. 1, 1932|
|Synakowska, M.||Sister Mary Medarda||Sept. 1, 1932|
|Krukar, M.||Sister Mary Judith||Sept. 1, 1932|
|Pelc, M.||Sister Mary Beniamin||Sept. 1, 1932|
|Kociela, S.||Sister Mary Praxeda||July 10, 1934|
|Piusinska, B.||Sister Mary Beatrix||1942|
V - Parochial Clergy
17. Chronological list of the pastors and administrators of the parish.
Rev. Simon Pniak, born in Poland, ordained in Rochester, N. Y., for the diocese of Syracuse, December 22, 1896, was the first pastor of Holy Trinity Parish of Utica.
From December 24, 1896 to April 1, 1909 he was the pastor of this parish. He bought more land, built the brick church in 1897 --- 1898, started the school in the basement of the church with lay teachers.
In 1901 he bought ten acres of land for a cemetery.
In 1905 he started and continued during almost five years the construction of the present stone church. Important events:
September 19, 1897, the Rt. Rev. Patrick Ludden, Bishop of Syracuse, blessed the cornerstone for the brick church of Holy Trinity.
June 11, 1899, the Rt. Rev. Patrick Ludden dedicated the church, consecrated the altar in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and confirmed 161 persons.
July 15, 1906, the Rt. Rev. Patrick Ludden confirming 500 persons' and blessed the cornerstone of the present church.
Toward the end of 1907 Father Pniak received an assistant.
During the construction of the church Father Pniak was confronted with many difficulties which arose from the unforeseen conditions of the ground selected for a massive church. Digging for the foundation almost over the bank of the abandoned Chenango Canal quicksand was encountered.
With the growth of the congregation dissensions arose in the parish. Father Pniak's life during the last few years of his pastorate in Utica was filled with bitterness on account of calumnies directed against him. He , met, however, these iniquitous attacks with patience aad serenity, he ignored them entirely and did not take any action of defense.
The dissensions grew to such an extent that the Rt. Rev. Bishop Ludden deemed it best to give him a rest.
In April 1909, after 12 years of ceaseless hard work, Rev. Simon Pniak left for three months vacation. He did not resume his pastorate in Utica.
He became a pastor of St. Stephen's parish in Oswego, N. Y., and built the church there.
He remained in Oswego until his death, October 21, 1928. His remains were brought to Utica and buried from Holy Trinity Church with due honor and solemnity in the Holy Trinity Cemetery.
If not in life, at least in death, his former congregation expressed the gratitude and appreciation lor his labor among them.
A vast assemblage in tears received his body and paid the last tribute.
The Church of Holy Trinity of Utica is a lasting monument to his memory.
In his will Father Pniak left the sum of $1000.00 for the Holy Trinity School.
Rev. Theodore Suck, born and ordained in Poland, was the administrator of the parish from April I, 1909 to August 31. 1909. He was succeeded in the office by Rev. Anselm Mlynarczyk, born and ordained in Poland, who was the administrator from September 1, 1909 to November 30, 1909.
Rev. Louis P. Muszynski, born and ordained in Poland, came as pastor in the midst of dissensions and turbulent times in the history of the parish. His pastorate began December 1. 1909 and terminated June 16, 1920.
Father Muszynski was well qualified for the difficult post. He was a zealous pastor, full of energy and a hard worker. He soon united his congregation, organized the people and uplifted the parish, spiritually and materially. He extended and straightened up the church property.
Historical events during his pastorate:
January 30, 1910, Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes, then coadjutor blessed the big bell donated by the Utica Steam Cotton Company.
May 22, 1910. Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes dedicated at imposing ceremonies the new Holy Trinity Church and consecrated the main marble altar, donated by the Society of the Holy Rosary.
June 5, 1910, Rt. Rev. Bishop Rhode confirmed 360 persons and blessed two bells, one donated by St. Michael's Society, another by the Utica Globe Mill.
In the summer of 1910 he transformed the brick church into a school of eight classrooms.
He brought the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth to Utica to take charge of the school.
The frame building, used as a chapel. was changed into a convent for the Sisters.
In 1911 the first mission was held.
September 1, 1912 the Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes confirmed 360 persons.
In 1914 an addition to the school was built, containing a large auditorium and 14 classrooms.
In 1916 a permanent rectory was built.
October 29, 1916, Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes confirmed 358 persons.
Father Muszynski spent over $30,000.00 on improvements and equipment of the church.
During the World War Father Muszynski was very active for the cause of Poland. One hundred seventy one Polish boys joined the Polish Army. Two of them were killed, one died of disease. One hundred thirty three boys of Polish descent entered the American Army. Four of these were killed, one died of disease. After the war several died from the effects of the war.
A monument was erected in the cemetery to their memory with their names and the following inscription on a copper plate :
TO OUR HEROES, WHO FOUGHT FOR LIBERTY OF NATIONS 1914-1919
In June 1920 Father Muszynski went for a visit to the reborn Poland.
Influenced by his home Bishop in Poland, he decided to remain there and resigned from the pastorate in Utica. Rev. Alexander Kowalski acted as administrator from June 16, 1920 to October 24, 1920.
By the order of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes, Rev. Michael Dzialuk was appointed pastor October 7,1920 and is its pastor to the present time.
He was born in Poland and pursued his first studies there, came to America in 1905 and continued his studies at the Polish Seminary in Detroit, Michigan. He completed his course at the Grand Seminary, Montreal, where he was ordained by the Archbishop Paul Bruchesi, December 23, 1911, for the Diocese of Syracuse.
At the time of his appointment he was the pastor of St. Stanislaus Parish Binghamton of which he was the organizer.
During his pastorate the church property was considerably extended, improved and beautified. Important events:
October 2, 1921, the Rt. Rev. Bishop Grimes confirmed 591 persons.
In 1922 the church roof was repaired, ventilators made in the ceiling, main altar finished with marble tops and crown, the church decorated, pillars at side altars finished with ornamental statues (angels with trum· pets), twelve large copper electric light fixtures, and Munich stained windows, donated by the congregation, installed.
In 1923 the old small organ was replaced with a new three manual pipe organ and blessed with appropriate ceremonies and great enthusiasm of the entire congregation March II, 1923.
November 29, 1923, General Joseph Haller, a hero and one of the outstanding world war figures, visited Utica, and was received with military honors by the city of Utica. He was the guest of the Holy Trinity congregation.
On August 1. 1924, property adjoining the school and convent including five lots and a frame building, was purchased for the sum of $14,800.00 for the new convent and school playground.
The construction of a new convent began.
On June 21, 1925 the convent was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Doody, vicar general of the diocese.
In 1925 the original frame building was torn down and a rose garden was made in its place.
The property was surrounded by an iron fence.
To remind the present and the future generations that this spot was the cradle of the Holy Trinity Parish, a statue of the Blessed Virgin with Child was placed on a granite boulder.
Two copper plates, attached to the boulder, bear the following inscription in English and in Polish:
A. D. 1926
The Children of Holy Trinity Church have erected this statue to mark the site of the small wooden house, where, since the year 1896, the early Polish settlers have gathered for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
The statue was unveiled with proper ceremonies and to the great joy of the surviving pioneers of the parish, May 23, 1926.
May 30, 1926 His Excellency Rt. Rev. Daniel Curley confirmed 705 persons. On January 30, 1926, Archbishop Cieplak visited Utica and was a guest of the parish. On Sunday January 31st. He pontificated at the Holy Trinity Church and delivered a sermon on "Perseverance of the Faith". Archbishop Cieplak was imprisoned for a long time and condemned to death by the Bolsheviks. He was released, through the intercession of the American Government. To express his gratitude he came to the United States.
The Archbishop was considered a Martyr and was received with great honor and enthusiasm.
In June 1926, the children of Holy Trinity School greeted His Eminence John Cardinal Bonzano at the railroad station, while he was on his way to Chicago as the Apostolic Delegate to the Eucharistic Congress. They presented him with a bouquet of roses.
On September 28, 1926, the Rt. Rev. Theodore Kubina, Bishop of Czestochowa, Poland, visited this parish.
On March 29, 1927, a $10,000.00 church mortgage Bond was publicly burned.
On October 7, 1927 an addition was made to the southwest end of the church, of the same stone as the church, making the entrance to the sacristy and music hall safe and convenient. The dimensions are 22 fl. and 10 inches long and 8 feet wide.
April 29, 1928, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Daniel Curley confirmed 467 persons.
October 28, 1928, His Excellency Ignatius Dubowski, formerly Bishop of Luck, Zytomierz, visited Holy Trinity Congregation. He pontificated and preached. In the afternoon he officiated in the procession at the Holy Trinity Cemetery in anticipation of All Souls Day.
In 1930, Rev. Michael Dzialuk, J.C.B. obtained a degree of Doctor of Theology in Rome, Italy.
In 1930, a monument of Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski was erected at Oneida Street and the Parkway.
It was unveiled October 12th and presented to the city of Utica by Rev. Michael Dzialuk as a gift to the city from the Polish people of Utica and vicinity.
Hon. Charles S. Donnely, the Mayor of Utica accepted the gift in the name of the city.
July 19, 1931. the parish with the pastor made a special pilgrimage to the Shrine of the American Martyrs at Auriesville.
May 19, 1931, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Emmett M. Walsh, Bishop of Charleston, confirmed 676 per· sons.
In 1931 the school was remodeled.
June 6, 1933, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. Ernest Coppo, S.C., Bishop of Poleopolis was a guest.
October 29, 1933, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy, the new Bishop of Syracuse, performed his first religious functions in Utica at the Holy Trinity Church. He pontificated and preached on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Church.
On the same day he confirmed 587 persons.
May 20, 1934, General Joseph Haller was a guest with his son.
August 10, 1934, A. N. Bohomolec and J. Swichowski, the two adventurers from Poland who crossed the ocean in a small skiff. were guests here, while on their way to the World's Fair in Chicago.
November 3, 1935, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy confirmed 318 persons.
In 1935 the entrance to the cemetery was widened, the posts rebuilt, new gates made and a part of a permanent stone vault built.
March 30, 1936, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. John A. Duffy made a visitation to the parish and thoroughly inspected the entire church property. To the great joy of the children he visited every classroom.
In 1936 the roof of the church was thoroughly repaired.
Rev. Anthony Baron Chyszek, born in Poland, ordained in Italy, was the first assistant, from November 9, 1907 to January I, 1909.
Rev. Stephen Plaza, born and ordained in Poland, assistant from October 1909 to December 1909.
Rev. Joseph Tomecki, was assistant from February 1910 to April 1910.
Rev. Anthony Deksnis, born in Lithuania, assistant from June 1910 to March 5, 1911.
Rev. Edmund Kempinski, born and ordained in Poland, assistant from March 5, 1911 to October 15, 1911.
V I - Parochial School
16. The first school was started in four rooms in the church basement, during Rev. Simon Pniak's pastorate in 1899.
In the beginning of the pastorate of Rev. Louis Muszynski, in the summer of 1910, the brick Church was hurriedly transformed into a school of eight classrooms, at the cost of $11,000.00.
It is a two story common brick building, 100 ft. long and 54 ft. wide with a flat roof. In 1914. an addition to the school was built 102 ft. long and 60 ft. wide, of cement and hollow tile, faced with common brick, reinforced with iron beams, it contains a spacious auditorium in the basement and two stories above consisting of fourteen classrooms. The cost was over $40,000.00. The money was partly borrowed and partly contributed liberally by the parishioners.
17. In 1931, during the pastorate of Rev. Michael Dzialuk, the school was remodeled, new safe entrances made, the wooden stairs replaced with iron ones, a clinic, office and coat rooms made, new sanitary lavatories installed, the main corridors tiled, a new slag roof put up, the chimney repaired and extended, the main water pipe replaced with a larger one, a part of the school yard cemented. The cost amounted to $18,000.00.
18. The teaching staff in the beginning was one lay teacher. In 1901 the teaching staff was two lay teachers.
In 1908 to June 1909 the teaching staff was four lay teachers.
In September 1909 to June 1910, Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of New Britain, had charge of the school. The teaching staff was two sisters and two lay teachers.
In September 1910, Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth took charge, teaching staff was six sisters and two lay teachers. Number of grades, eight.
In the course of time the teaching staff was increased to twenty teachers. At the present time the teaching staff is fifteen teachers. Numbers of grades taught, fifteen classes from the Kindergarten to the Eight Grade Elementary. No changes had been made in the teaching community since 1910.
19. The attendance at first school was about fifty children. The attendance increased yearly, the highest attendance was in 1926, 1.351 children. Due to closed immigration the attendance gradually diminished.
The present attendance is 475 children.
20. Teachers first residence:
The frame building formerly used as a chapel was changed into a temporary convent.
With the constant increasing number of teachers the small convent could not house them all.
When Father Dzialuk took charge of the parish, he found that one classroom in the school was used as a dormitory for the sisters.
The building of a convent to accommodate all the sisters was an urgent necessity.
A drive was started to raise money. The land was purchased for the sum of $11,800.00. The plans were prepared by Edward Berg, architect. The contractor was Carl Braun.
The construction was started in 1924 and completed in 1925.
It is a three story building 75 feet long and 36 ft. wide, of hollow tile, veneered with buff brick, asbestos roof. It contains 33 rooms and a chapel and can accommodate twenty-six sisters.
The cost of construction and equipment was about $50,000.00
21. Names of principals since the opening of the school:
Mother Mary Patricia, Mother Mary Leonia, Mother Mary Patricia, Mother Mary Ladislaus, Mother Mary Rose, Mother Mary Leticia, Mother Mary Dominic, Mother Mary Bogdana, Mother Mary Basilia and Mother Mary Simplicia. Those who taught at school's opening were Mother Mary Patricia, Sister M. Pelagia, Sister M. Beata, Sister M. Valeria, Sister M. Jakubina and Sister M. Innocenta.
VII - Parish Cemetery
22. October 21, 1901, Rev. Simon Pniak bought II acres of land for a cemetery from George Hatfield, for the sum of $3,900.00.
It is called the Holy Trinity Cemetery of Utica, although it is located in Whitestown, on Champlin Road.
23. The title is vested in the Holy Trinity Church, City of Utica, County of Oneida, and recorded on the 31 st day of October 190 I in Book No. 567 of Deeds on page 371.
The original sponsor was Rev. Simon Pniak.
24. Date of first burial was March 12, 1902. The number of burials average 70.
The cemetery served three parishes.
In 1908 a large granite Cross was erected in the center of the cemetery, donated by the Children of Mary Sodality.
In 1912, one half of the cemetery was blessed by Rev. Louis P. Muszynski with the Bishop's authorization.
In 1935 the cemetery was improved, all the entrances widened, new gates made and part of a permanent vault built.
On October 27, 1935 the cornerstone for the cemetery chapel was blessed. In 1937, the construction of the cemetery chapel was finished. The dimension of the chapel is 36 feet long and 24 feet wide. It is a fireproof construction and the value is estimated at about $40,000.00.
October 3, 1937, the chapel was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Daniel Doody, Vicar General. and delegated by His Excellency Walter A. Foery, Bishop of the Diocese of Syracuse.
Many of the clergy and about 4,000 people were gathered for this event.
First Mass in the chapel was said May 30, 1938 by the Rev. Michael J. Dzialuk, D.D., the pastor.
On May 22, 1938, the Grotto of the Blessed Virgin was unveiled and blessed.
For Website Corrections or Problems: Webmaster at email@example.com
Copyright © 2008 internet Polish Genealogical Source All Rights Reserved
Last Updated on October 19, 2011