the internet Polish Genealogical Source
Arms: Azure, two swords Argent in pale hilted and pommeled Or, conjoined at the blade's mid point and debruised of a crescent at a fess point, also Or. For a crest, a panache of peacock plumes, all proper, charged with the arms of the shield.
There is a new moon, as it were, not full, with both ends upward, yellow in a blue field, and two chipped sword pommels with crosses and hilts, of which one is in the middle of the moon, and the other beneath it. On a helmet above a crown is a peacock's tail, with the same moon and pommels. That is how Paprocki described it in his Gniazdo cnoty [Nest of Virtue], pages 45 and 1187, and in O herbach [Of Clan Shields], page 265; also Okolski in vol.3, page 240, and in Klejnoty [Crests], page 87. This clan shield is known by the names Trzaska, Biala and Lubiewa.
This shield was bestowed upon a knight named Trzaska [Translator-a word meaning "chip, splinter"] by King Boleslaw the Brave [992-1025] on an occasion when an enemy rushed towards the King with drawn sword. The abovementioned knight blocked the way and shielded his lord, but could not withstand the enemy force for long. For when he struck at the enemy's neck with all his might, his sword shattered almost at the hilt. The King, seeing this, quickly gave Trzaska his own sword. With it the knight, who was strong by nature, not only hacked that enemy to death, but slashed others as well, so that a circle thick with bodies surrounded him. Finally this sword, too, broke off, and after the battle had been won he gave it back to Boleslaw. As a reward for his courage and beautiful heart, the King gave him the shield in this form. Paprocki adds that he was later called Lubiewa, because the knight endowed the Lubin monastery in Great Poland, where three members of this house, one after another, ruled as abbots, and in memory of this endowment by them, to this day that monastery uses the Trzaska shield in its seal.
In reading monastery charters Paprocki found these ancestors in ancient times from this house: Count Morcha of Biala in 1091; Count Mstygeń of Biala in 1180; and Klemens Szeliga of Janowice, chamberlain of Sieradz in 1436- but Paprocki also placed him under the Szeliga clan shield.
Some families with the name of this shieldflourish to this day in the district of Lomza, such as Stanislaw Trzaska, who in 1582 at Pskov dismounted from his horse and walked on foot towards the battle (Paprocki, O herbach, page 405); Pawel Trzaska in 1680; and Jadwiga Trzaska, a Benedictine nun at All Saints in Lóow. At the Horodlo and the Union of Lithuania and Poland it was Mojdylon or Mejdalon Kufolowicz who took this clan shield for himself and his progeny (according to Bielski, page 314), or Czusołowicz (according to Stryjkowski, page 542). There were Adam and Samuel in Warsaw district, and Walentyn, Pawel, Maxymilian and Kazimierz in Nur district in 1697. In 1778 Felix Traszka was the Łomźa standardbearer. In 1788 Thomas was the Opoczno border marshal, per Krasicki.
Families Bearing This Shield:
Kuropatnicki, Malachowski and Wieladek associate the following families as well with this shield:
- translated by Leonard Suligowski
For Website Corrections or Problems: Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011 internet Polish Genealogical Source All Rights Reserved
Last Updated on November 2, 2011